This delicious Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles comes from my step-sister Bobbi, and it’s low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, meatless, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly, and uses ingredients you probably have on hand. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I’m home from a wonderful family trip to Mexico, where the Denny siblings and spouses had a great time exploring ruins, swimming, relaxing at the beach, shopping in Playa del Carmen, and of course eating! And the week before I went to Mexico I had my blogging friend Lydia and her husband Ted as houseguests. We had fun riding around in the new car with the top down, and Ted went for a bike ride with my brother-in-law Clayton, so it’s really starting to feel like summer around here.
This recipe for Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles was something I cooked when Lydia and Ted were here, and we enjoyed it for a healthy breakfast and then ate the leftovers and enjoyed it a second time. I love breakfasts like this that you can cook once and eat for a few days, and easy low-carb breakfast casseroles are something I make all year, even when I have to use the oven to make them!
I thought it would be fun to share a breakfast dish with Mexican flavors when I’d just gotten back from Mexico, but there’s also a fun summer story about how I originally got this recipe. In the very early days of the blog when I was a teacher, I visited my step-sister Bobbi one summer in Guerneville, California. Bobbi made this for me as a carb-conscious breakfast, and when it turned out to be so tasty, and used ingredients I always have in the house, I shared it on the blog. And that same trip Bobbi’s sister Karyn made a tasty breakfast casserole for me that also showed up on the blog.
I’m updating the photos for Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles with new ones that show it off a little better. I also cut down the casserole to a smaller size that makes 6-8 servings. I not only loved the flavors here, but I loved the way the cottage cheese adds extra protein, and I hope the new photos will entice you to give it a try!
Preheat oven. Put the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until only the curds are left. Let cottage cheese drain while you prep other ingredients. Spray a 9″ x 13″ glass or crockery casserole dish with nonstick spray or olive oil. Layer the cottage cheese, grated cheese, green chiles, sliced olives, and green onions into the casserole dish.
Pour the beaten egg over the other ingredients; then use a fork to gently “stir” so all ingredients are well-combined. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set and the casserole is starting to brown slightly on top.
Serve this Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles hot with things like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or Green Tabasco Sauce to add at the table if desired.
WEEKEND FOOD PREP:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
BOBBI’S LOW-CARB BREAKFAST CASSEROLE WITH EGG, CHEESE, AND GREEN CHILES
This delicious Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles comes from my step-sister Bobbi.
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese, rinsed and drained well
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (Use full-fat or low-fat cottage cheese and cheese, whichever you prefer)
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced, plus a little more for garnish if desired
- 1 can pitted black olives, drained and sliced (6 oz. can)
- 2 tsp. Spike seasoning (optional; use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good on eggs)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Put cottage cheese in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse well with cold water, then let drain. Slice the green onions and drain and slice the olives.
- Spray 9″ x 13″ glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Layer the drained cottage cheese, grated cheese, green onion, green chiles with juice, and sliced olives in the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs and pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish. Stir gently with fork to be sure cheese/vegetable mixture is evenly distributed in eggs; then season with Spike Seasoning, salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and top is slightly browned.
- Serve hot with toppings like guacamole, sour cream, salsa or Green Tabasco Sauce to add at the table if desired.
Before you make this you may want to read Basic Instructions and Recipes for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for different sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Made with low-fat cottage cheese, and low-fat cheese, this Breakfast Casserole with Egg, Cheese, and Green Chiles is a great breakfast option for any phase of the South Beach Diet. Other low-carb diet plans would probably prefer full-fat dairy. Either way you make it, this will be delicious for a carb-conscious breakfast.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Pinterest. Thank you! <3