The correct sleeping position can be really good for your overall health since it can relieve the pain and increase the energy levels. However, there are sleeping positions that may affect your health condition since they can cause snoring, back pain, and poor sleep quality.
We are going to present how every sleeping position affects the general health and well-being. Here is what they mean and how they affect your shealth:
Sleeping on your belly
This sleeping position is not recommended for those who are struggling with neck or back pain, because it doesn’t provide any relief for the discomfort. However, it increases the pain intensity and it’s bad even for healthy people.
Sleeping on the back
If you are used to sleep on the back you certainly experience lower back pain. That’s why, make sure you put a pillow under the knees in order to support the curve of your spine. Sleeping on the back usually provokes sleep apnea and snoring, which, in turn, could affect the quality of your sleep and could also lead to hypertension and cardiovascular problems.
Sleeping on the side
This position is the most comfortable and the healthiest one. Sleeping on the side relieves both the neck and back pain and it can also improve the digestion. If you want to reduce the pressure of your hips and back, place a pillow between the legs.
This sleeping position has the ability to prevent snoring but it doesn’t soothe the back pain since the curved position increases the pain intensity and restricts diaphragmatic breathing. The fetal sleeping position may also lead to premature wrinkles and it could make your breasts look less perky.
Sleeping on the left side
It is highly recommendable for pregnant women to sleep on the left side because it boosts the blood circulation that is encouraging the transport of nutrients all over the organism.
Starfish position could trigger snoring and back pain, however it’s good for reducing acid reflux.
This sleeping position is quite common among couples since it strengthens their relationship. Sleeping in this position is able to stimulate the oxytocin release (a hormone that lowers the stress levels and increases the feeling of happiness).
In case you have difficulties with falling asleep and you fail to get the needed rest during the night, here are several tips that could help you for this problem:
- Make your bedroom sleep-inducing, which means you should turn off the lights and keep the temperature in your bedroom cool. Also, the room where you sleep should be well ventilated and your mattress needs to be comfortable.
- Make sure that you go to bed and get up at the same time every day.
- It’s a bad idea to go to bed immediately after having a large meal. Make sure to have your meal at least 3 hours before going to sleep.
- Practice a soothing pre-sleeping routine that can include reading a book, taking a bath, practicing breathing techniques, and doing relaxation exercises.
- Avoid or reduce consuming alcohol
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages late in the evening
- Do not use the computer or mobile phone before you go to sleep.
- Increase the levels of the physical activity during the day.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Pinterest. Thank you! <3